Thursday, August 12, 2004

Four Months!

So I haven't updated in four months. The last update said I hadn't updated in two months. Does this mean it will be eight months before the next update? Hope not. Feh.

Today has been a pretty typical day, so let's have it stand for every day's update since April, shall we? MmmmK.

So this morning, Jonathan wrote a letter to his grandma, and emailed her one, too. He spent the remainder of the morning reading a Lemony Snicket book or three. I also saw him with his nose in his Shakespeare book (by the Lambs) and I think he was finishing up King Lear (he loves the clown). He played with Galidor LEGOs and then spent twice as long cleaning them up as he had playing with them. We read a chapter of Treasure Island together on the bed while Nicholas napped and then he had some multiplication-type questions, so we went over some of that, using his abacus. While he was working on some problems I made up, Benjamen and I played around with the alphabet, making Os into octopi and Ls into lions. Jonathan and I got into a side discussion about the word "alphabet", how it came from the Greek letters alpha and beta, and then we did about half an hour of writing out the Greek letters and going over their names, which he thought was a hoot (he thinks foreign languages are secret codes).

We've been talking about early civilizations and the evolution of early man from Australopithicus to Cro-Magnon (he started on this from one of his dinosaur books that also went into the evolution of mammals), so we pulled out our third history book (Kingfisher, we'd already done the Usborne and WTM books over the last several days) and looked at what it had to say about the subject. He painted a cave in watercolors, with a meteorite hitting it and bouncing off. We did an experiment from Mudpies to Magnets, our science experiments book of choice, and we also did one of Krampf's experiments that had come through email a while back and was still sitting in my inbox. We also went over the poem he's been memorizing, Caterpillar, by Christine G. Rosseti (Can you tell I'm memorizing it, too, through osmosis?). He memorized it the first day (I want his memory, please.) but he doesn't like the recitation process, so I'm thinking of dropping that part.

After that, the boys all got into the dress-up box and are currently running around the house with wigs and sunglasses and bizarre hats and backpacks.

Fini. I have to go scrape up some dinner.