Monday, January 24, 2005

Journal

Inspired by Lizo, J and I started a journal this evening. He already has a Bionicle Blog for all thoughts Bionicle, but this one looks like it's going to be a take-off on our nightly bedtime ritual.

Every night when we're all curled up in bed, I ask the boys, "What was the best part of your day?" and "What was the worst part of your day?" So when I asked J which topics he wanted to write about in his journal every evening, he chose these:

1. Something good that happened today.
2. Something unpleasant that happened today.
3. Something I learned today.
4. Something I read today.
5. Something I want to write about today.

He came up with that last one after hitting me with about 15 topics, rapid-fire (like the dragon egg I didn't buy him over the weekend, what he's wearing today, etc). I had asked him if he was sure he wanted to write about each of those things every day, and he came up with #5 as a catch-all.

This morning we made an Egyptian fig cake that I thought was pretty awful, but the boys devoured it. We baked oatmeal cookies this afternoon and they're wonderful. I had to do oatmeal chocolate chip, because B won't eat raisins.

We read The Seven Voyages of Sinbad for history (our history book says it depicts the same time period as the Assyrians we're finishing up) and J copied Emperor Penguins (by Douglas Florian) for his copywork. He's already memorized the poem before he's finished the copywork, which seems to be his newest trick these days.

The rest of the day he spent on the computer and outside.

Happy day!