How We Learn To Count Backward By Even and Odd Numbers
I was having gall bladder attacks prior to the holidays (since Halloween) and then had surgery on the solstice, which accounts for some of my slacking here.
Today Benjamen and I are counting backward by even and odd numbers. We mostly do it because it's fun, and it's fun because of a song I found years and years ago. Jonathan picked up counting backwards by evens and odds effortlessly and Benjamen looks to be picking it up likewise.
The song is a recording of Michael Stipe and Natalie Merchant singing "The Counting Song"a capella at a club in 1987. Here are the words:
The Counting Song
On yonder hill there lives a lassy
And her name I do not know.
One fine day I'm going to find her
Whether she be rich or poor.
Round and round on the wheel of fortune
Round and round, turn the wheel in me.
Young women's hearts are so uncertain
Sad experience teaches me.
19, 17, 15, 13,
11, 9, 7, and a 5, 3, 1
20, 18, 16, 14,
12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, none.
Lassy, I've got gold and silver;
Lassy, I've got gooses and land.
Lassy, I've got ships on the ocean,
All to sail at your command.
Round and round on the wheels of fortune
Round and round, turn the wheel for me.
Young women's hearts are so uncertain
Sad experience teaches me.
19, 17, 15, 13,
11, 9, 7, and a 5, 3, 1
20, 18, 16, 14,
12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, none.
Round and round on the wheels of fortune
Round and round, turn the wheel in me.
Young women's hearts are so uncertain
Sad experience teaches me.
I don't want your gold your silver,
I don't want your gooses your land.
I don't want your ships on the ocean,
All I want is a good young man.
19, 17, 15, 13,
11, 9, 7, and a 5, 3, 1
20, 18, 16, 14,
12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, none.
Round and round on the wheels of fortune
Round and round, turn the wheel in me.
Young women's hearts are so uncertain
Sad experience teaches me.
It's lovely, and I have it saved as an MP3, if anyone would like to hear it.
Friday, January 12, 2007
at 7:09 AM