Tuesday, December 23, 2003

This morning the two older boys have colored reindeer coloring sheets that I printed out for them. They both did a bang-up job and we taped them to the wall so that Papa can see them when he comes home.

I also printed out coloring pages of poinsettia, the nativity, Christmas trees, etc, but they were most interested in the reindeer. We read the original Rudolph story, written by Robert May, last evening for about the third time and so I think that's why they only colored the reindeer page. We learned that May was a Montgomery Ward employee who was given the task of creating a story that Santa could hand out to customers at Christmastime. I thought it was interesting and it provided another opportunity to talk about the commercialism of the holiday.

Finished with his page, Jonathan wandered over to the computer and started assembling bugs online while Benjamen continued to color. I read the Bethlehem story to him as he colored and Jonathan eavesdropped, asking questions here and there. They both kept getting up and finding the characters in their Playmobil nativity that we set up last evening.

Jonathan finished online and Benjamen finished his coloring so Benjamen played on PBSkids.org for a bit while Jonathan played with his LEGOs and I made some toast for them and got a bite of oatmeal for myself.

Now they're engaging in some imaginative play involving flinging themselves at each other and speaking a language I don't understand. Jonathan's intermittently providing me with factoids about skunks: They're muskelids! They emit a strong smelling liquid from glands beneath their tails! You shouldn't challenge them!

Good to know; thanks!