Friday, January 23, 2004

I guess it's a good thing when I'm neglecting the homeschooling 'blog a bit. It usually means we're too busy doing the fun stuff to write about it.

Right now the boys are doing their morning clean-up, so I'll just update on yesterday, Chinese New Year. We watched Mulan early in the day (so historically accurate! heh.) and made some dragon and tiger stick puppets. We colored monkeys and made a chinese zodiac, talking about the symbols and what they represent. We talked about the superstitions and traditions that go along with CNY and we made moon cakes for after dinner (which was Chinese take-out, of course!). We made chinese lanterns and lit up all of the candles in the house. When Papa got home we watched The First Emperor of China (that IMAX flick) and the boys put on a show for him with their dragon and tiger.

I had loads of fun, and I'm pretty sure they did, too. We're extending the celebration a bit so that we can do some more activities that we didn't get finished yesterday.