Monday afternoon, Jonathan and I spent about an hour, broken up into three chunks throughout the afternoon and evening, translating the first myth in Learning Latin Through Mythology, Atalanta and Hippomenes. I wrote everything down (so we can go faster!), and he did all of the translating himself. First we wrote down all of the words and then we rearranged them so that they sounded right in English. He thought they were hilarious all scrambled up, and two days later is still quoting the sentences at me in their all-jumbled-up form. Atalanta always fastest used to run! BWAH! Kids get off on the weirdest stuff. He really enjoyed it and, by the middle of the story, was remembering the repeated words without looking at the vocabulary list. It's been really hard for me not to bring it up again and see if he wants to do the next story, but I want all of this to be on his initiative, like it has been from the moment he pulled my old college Latin book down from the shelf and started asking me questions about it.
Tuesday we spent lots of time outside, playing in the woods, digging in the thawing mud. They found a bucket that had a huge chunk of ice in it and had a chain frozen through the center and they dragged that around for a long time, which was hilarious to watch. Then they got the idea to free the chain from the ice block, so they picked up a huge rock and started heaving it at the ice block. I noticed that no matter how excited they got, they both made sure the other guy was at a safe distance before hurling their "boulder" at the "glacier".
We also spent alot of time reading library books and Jonathan was reading Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats at several points throughout the day.
They helped me tidy up three or four times during the day, helped me with the laundry, and then helped me make dinner, too. We made pizza from scratch and they helped me with the dough, making the pizza sauce, shredding the cheese, and assembling it all. Then I went and let it burn. Feh. My stoopid oven is so unreliable. It was supposed to take 20 minutes, and I was going to check it at 15 minutes, but went ahead and checked it at about 12 minutes to be safe. Burned. Gah.
Today we're just getting started and I'm about to start a tidying up party as soon as I get up from here.
Wednesday, January 14, 2004
at 6:24 AM