Monday, January 12, 2004

Jonathan got down one of his math workbooks and finished 5 pages and then asked for some dried beans for counting tens. We compromised with macaroni and he glued those by tens into ten squares while Nicholas and Benjamen poured and counted the rest of the macaroni into some bowls on the living room rug.

After they finished with that we all got bundled up and went for a nice walk to the playground, over the bridge, around the lake and then we played out back for a while until they were ready to come in. The weather is much warmer today, but still chilly. We came in and I made some tomato soup and hot chocolate for lunch while they all sat at the table and read books.

We tidied up again after lunch and then read some books that they had all checked out from the library. While we were reading, the UPS guy came with two Latin books I had bought for J for Christmas, but they never made it in time. He loves the mythology in Minimus, so I knew he'd like the Learning Latin Through Mythology book. He spent about half an hour working out the roman numerals listed in that one and another half an hour flipping through the other book. I baked some cornbread to go along with the beans that I had put on the stove this morning.

We read some more library books, sitting on the couch together, then Nicholas made it clear that he was ready for a nap so I put him down while the older boys played fetch with the cat.

Now Benjamen and Jonathan are playing pirates and knights with their Playmobil sets, and I'm going to bake some oatmeal cookies. After that, I promised Jonathan we'd look at his new Latin books together.